Tuesday, March 07, 2006

A Slam History Request from Helen Gregory

The Emergence of Slam in England: Can You Help to Fill in the Gaps?

Do you know anything about the emergence and early development of Slam in England? Were you performing poetry in the early 90s? Or were you in the audience for one of the early Slams?

I am trying to piece together an account of the spread of slam to England, as as part of my sociology PhD at the University of Exeter.

So far, the earliest two references I can find are to a Slam with the Nuyorican poets at the Hackney Empire, London and a Slam broadcast on Radio 4, both in the early-mid 90s. Do you know about either of these events? Were you there? Maybe you've heard about Slams in England even earlier than these? As far as I'm aware, nothing has been published about the early history of Slam in England, so I'm desperately short of resources for my research.

I'm also hoping to plug this gap and spread the word about Slam's beginnings and evolution in Blighty - after all, I'm a performance poet myself and believe that the more people write, read and talk about Slams the better!

If you can help, please e-mail: helen_gregory@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Helen Gregory

No comments: