Saturday, February 18, 2006

Kat Francois headlining at the QI Club, Oxford

Coming up once again this Tuesday 21st of February: 'Quiet It's ... Hammer and Tongue' at the QI Club, Turl Street, Oxford.

This month's event will involve an Open Mic, workshop and a stunning guest poet, this time none other than Kat Francois, World Slam Champion & BBC Slam Champion!

The main action will be preceded by a workshop with experienced poet-performer Steve Larkin 5:30 - 7pm, with the Open Mic and guest poet following at 8 - 10.30pm. £5/free to QI members. And apparently there will be 'smoking and non-smoking sessions' - whatever that means!

Talking of smoking, it certainly looks as though the New Labour fascists have won the day, with a total ban on smoking even for private clubs coming into force next year. I gave up smoking quite a while ago now - yes, yes, those who know me of old may gasp in awed disbelief, Jane without a fag in her mouth, incroyable! - but I still defend the right of those who wish to fill the room with smoke. The disgusting smell reminds me why I gave up and it also means I get a bit of 'passive' without having to re-mortgage the shed to buy my own packet. OK, rant over.

Anyway, go and check out Kat Francois in Oxford next week if you haven't already seen her in action. She was recently nominated for a massive £10,000 Arts Foundation award for performance poetry - scooped by Tim Turnbull - and has won more Slams than I've filled ashtrays. Well, that may be an exaggeration, but I'm sure she's very good. Go see. I may try to get down there myself, husband willing.

No comments: