Monday, October 03, 2011

BRIGHTON: Self-portrait Without Breasts



Tuesday, October 4th, 2011, reception at 6.30pm for performance at 7.30pm
Brighton and Sussex Medical School,
Chowen Lecture Theatre,
Medical School Teaching Building,
University of Sussex,
Brighton
BN1 9PX

Clare Best performs poems from her sequence exploring preventative double mastectomy, with photographs by Laura Stevens.

Followed by a discussion with Dr James Mackay, MA, MD, FRCP, FRCPE
Consultant Clinical Genetic Oncologist

Self-portrait without Breasts is included in Clare Best's debut poetry collection, Excisions, available from Waterloo Press (www.waterloopress.co.uk) now.

"A fine cycle of sustained self-examination, both physical and spiritual." - Michael Hulse
"These poems made me think again, and deeply, about how I inhabit my body, how I see myself, and how I am seen." - Sarah Salway
"Unpredictable, erotic, and philosophically demanding." - Jackie Wills


For more information about this event, and the project, visit:
www.bsms.ac.uk
www.clarebest.co.uk
selfportraitwithoutbreasts.wordpress.com

No comments: